Meet the Designer
In our tidy, neatly organized Moschetti household, I escape to the studio to begin the process of creating chaos while making fused felt. Working with sustainable materials, usually fine wool and silk, the unfettered, unorganized, and unpredictable procedure begins as I lay out the materials. It gives me a sense of wild freedom, not sure how the new fabric will drape on the body, or perhaps become wall art. That is what I love the most about the art of felt making. The surprised and spontaneous unfolding of the piece makes me smile and perhaps laugh, seeing potential for the fabric. It’s like having a private ‘ah ha’ moment in the studio, pondering the possibilities.
For the past 15 years, I have been creating ‘Nuno’ felt, a technique used to integrate and fuse silk and fine Merino wool together. First learning to spin, then weave, I fell in love with the art of felt making after a trip to New Zealand in 2002. My garments have sold at the San Jose Quilt & Textile Museum, various boutique shops in the Western United States. I have taught felt workshops throughout Northern California. I received my Bachelor’s Degree from San Jose State University. Over the past 20 years, I have worked as a Physical Therapist Assistant, specializing in orthopedic and aquatic therapy.
Shows / Awards / Exhibitions [limited list]
2017 - Designer - PiVot: The Hall of Fashion, Blitzer Gallery, Santa Cruz, CA
· 2017 - Featured Artist - Fiber Reflections: Shared Dimensions, Blitzer Gallery, Santa Cruz, CA
· 2016 - Designer - PiVot: The Art of Fashion – Ann & Mark’s Art Party – San Jose, CA
· 2016 - Speaker/Workshop – PenWAG, San Jose, CA
· 2016 - Vendor – Step into Fashion – Santa Cruz, CA
· 2014 - 2015 - Designer/Exhibitor - Entangled: Fiber to Felt to Fashion, Kent State University Museum, Kent, OH
· 201 - Exhibitor - PIQF – Wearable Art Competition, San Jose, CA, 2nd & 3rd place
· 2012 - Designer - Michaelangelo’s – Fashion Art Runway Show, Santa Cruz, CA
· 2010 - Faculty - Surface Design Association – Reinvention, San Francisco, CA
· 2008 - Exhibitor - Santa Cruz Art League – 4th Annual Juried Textile Show, Award winner
· 2007 - 2014 - Vendor - Artistry in Fashion, Canada College, Redwood City, CA
· 2006 – Exhibitor – Santa Cruz County Fair Handweaving/Spinning, Best in Show